Friday, September 01, 2006

Finances, contentment, and dependency

Greg made some interesting comments today that I want to pick up on here.

Finances are definitely a major area for me to work on. I have a hard time trusting God with mine, not because my head doesn’t think God wants to bless me, but because my heart knows that God ultimately would like me to trust only in him. In the Garden, Adam and Eve had anything and everything they needed. They were in Paradise living a perfect life. What was it that made them want to give all of that up?

Greg hit it right on the head in his post. It was the whole area of contentment. The line of thinking goes something like: “Maybe I’m missing out on something. Maybe this fragile dependent relationship with God isn’t what I want. I want to be free to make my own choices, run my own life, and go my own way.”

Interestingly enough, in the end, Adam and Eve already had the knowledge of good and evil before they sinned. God had told them what was good and what was not. But instead, they chose to get with their own efforts what they already had for free. So instead of resting, they worked. Instead trusting, they forged on without God.

This, folks, is the nature of sin.

And restoration, sanctification, and maturity all depend on me learning how to rest, trust, and let go of my own efforts.

I just wish it wasn’t so dang hard to do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ted,

How do you conclude A&E knew their relationship with God was at stake in the choice thy made, as though they were consciously and premeditatively "giving it all up" in order to pursue autonomy instead?

Satan had set it up to look like the offer was to be "more like God" -- this would have, in theory, made them more able to relate to God, on par with God as it were, having as much knowledge about everything as God has.

Did gaining "freedom to run their own lives" occur to them, at that point in history? (They were not Americans, haha) Maybe this did not even cross their minds?

Dang...this is a theology question, isnt it? HA! Sorry!!!!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Interesting thought Susan. I started a series on money and finances at my church mainly because there is so much in the Bible about money (something like 2300 verses or so). Your point made me realize that money (well, our attitudes about money anyway)leads to theology when we get to the root of it.

As far as what A&E knew what was at stake, they had to know something was at stake since God told them not to eat of that fruit. And, what was at stake was death. I wonder if the promise of "being like God, knowing good and evil" amounts to having more freedom?

6:44 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

I guess I'm gonna go with Greg on the "what's at stake?" part. They were told that they would die. I guess they must have known what death was at that point, or the consequences quoted to them would have made no sense to them. It seems that a choice for death was a choice to "give it all up."

The key for me is, God gave them a dependent relationship. They traded it in to "be like God" rather than to "be dependent on God." I have the same challenge now. Will I be vulnerable, contingent, dependent, and humble? Or will I choose to get what I want by forcing the issue?

When Abraham forced the issue and had Ishmael, that set off a chain of negative events we're still dealing with.

By the way, have you read Perelandra by C.S. Lewis? I like how he pictures the temptation of Eve.

p.s. I owe you a couple paper reviews, and I understand you're taking Intro Theo this semester, so I await the opportunity to serve!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will get that opportunity! :)
I dont know if you'll be able to do the first one, however, unless you want to read theology papers on vacation! Ha!! As if!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home