Thursday, June 07, 2007

I don't think I could do this

Alone in the woods with his left leg pinned beneath a fallen tree for 11 hours, a 66-year-old man used pocket knives to cut off his limb below the knee to free himself.

Al Hill had been cutting trees last Friday when one fell on him. After freeing himself, he cried out for help, and a neighbor passing through this sparsely populated area heard him.

Eric Bookey then hiked nearly two miles to get a cellular signal and placed an emergency call to the Iowa Hill, CA all-volunteer fire department.

Hill was eventually airlifted by helicopter to a hospital where he underwent amputation surgery.

1 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Geez! Me neither. I suppose the pain of being caught under there and losing so much blood for 11 hours must have made him quite desperate. Having not waited under a tree for 11 hours, though, I would definitely agree with you, though. I'd rather die than have to cut off one of my limbs with a pocket knife. Yuck.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home